(Time to read this Blog section is about 60 seconds)
- Addicted to screens: A recent US survey reveals that teenagers now spend an average of 7 hours a day looking at screens on phones, laptops, desktops and tablets. That’s 42 minutes a day more than the last survey in 2015.
Another survey shows that the average millennial checks their smart phone 80 times a day. This is nuts.
- Now, we can all help feed the world: Go to The Hunger Site, click on the “Donate Free Food” button and somewhere in the world a hungry person gets a meal to eat, at no cost to you. The food is paid for by corporate sponsors who gain exposure in the process because you’ll see their logos. It literally takes 3 seconds. Pass the word.
- You have 4 clear competitive choices. Pick one: Whatever product or service you sell, there are way too many other businesses selling about the same thing. You have 4 clear competitive choices. They are:
1. Offer exclusive or extraordinary products, services or experiences that make it not all about price.
2. Make it all about price and then develop the business model and world-class operating efficiency required to win the price war profitably.
3. Offer quality products and / or services, be competitively priced (but not necessarily the cheapest) and then out-serve, out-market, out-communicate and out-hustle your competition.
4. Be mediocre, struggle and fade away.
- Does your website have a ‘Meet Our Team’ page? Every website should have a ‘Meet Our Team’ page that creates confidence, makes connections and honours your staff. One of the best I’ve seen is on the website for Parr Auto Body parrautobody.com
- The restaurant credit card payment machine rip-off: When you pay by credit card in a restaurant, the credit card ‘machine’ prompts you with tip options of 15%…18%…20%. What nobody tells you is that the tip is then calculated on the tax included price. So, you’re tipping on the tax.
- Airline fees go nuts: Frontier Airlines now charges a ‘Carrier Interface Fee’ on nearly all of its fares that are booked online. This fee ranges from $8 to $38 per person on a roundtrip fare. This is nuts!