(Time to read this Blog is about 2.5 minutes)
Before we get to the main topic, here are a few things to get you thinking…or smiling:
- My biz quote of the week:
- Sometimes it pays to look at things backwards. ‘Stressed’ spelled backwards is ‘desserts’. 😊
- The Ford Motor Company has created a special Division that will use technologies developed to make better vehicles to produce innovative non-automotive products. Their 1st project is to use their Active Noise Control technology to create a ‘quiet’, low-stress dog house. I do not make this stuff up!
So, how could you use your knowledge, technology or expertise to create other products, services and profitable revenue streams in your business? That could be the subject for a most interesting staff meeting or internal ‘Innovation Competition’.
- Cooper’s effective ‘straight talk’ Biz Coaching at a safe distance. Want to sell more, manage smarter, grow your bottom line…and have a life? Want help with partnership or family business challenges? Need to deal with employees who just aren’t performing?
These are just a few of the business issues that I’m currently helping clients solve. If you’d like to chat about ‘possibilities’, simply email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and list your top 4 most important business challenges.
Now, to this week’s important topic:
Cooper’s 10 Keys to better employee engagement:
Employee engagement is one of the hottest topics in business today…and so it should be. Surveys show that companies with highly engaged employees are 22% more profitable. But, in North America, only 31% of employees are truly engaged, according to Gallup’s latest study…and, in the rest of the world, the numbers are even lower.
Highly engaged employees…
- Are more productive.
- Contribute more ideas.
- Have much lower absenteeism and turnover.
- Deliver better customer experiences.
- Deliver higher quality products and services.
- Have a higher sense of purpose, urgency, belonging and accomplishment.
- Enjoy a challenge.
- Add joy and energy to the business.
Cooper’s 10 Keys to better employee engagement:
Rate your business’s performance on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being excellent, in each of the following 10 Keys to better employee engagement.
- _______ All team members have a clear understanding of the business’s ‘purpose’, They know why what we do matters to our customers, to the environment, to our community and to our bottom line.
- _______ They’re proud of our values and integrity and committed to deliver extraordinary customer value and experiences.
- _______ They know our history and are proud of our achievements. They know what we’re committed to become in the next 3 to 5 years (our Vision) and are committed to help us get there. They are aware of what career opportunities that growth can create for those with the ability and the desire.
- _______ Our managers and supervisors are competent, committed and fair. They encourage and coach those with the ability and desire to grow.
- _______ All Team members are properly trained to do their job and are encouraged to take initiative, within clearly defined boundaries.
- _______ Communication is frequent, honest and consistent.
- _______ Ideas, feedback and respectful debate are encouraged, listened to and acted on. Team members participate in the development and implementation of plans and policies.
- _______ They know why their job is important and how it affects customers, the rest of the team, the environment and the bottom line.
- _______ They know how the business is doing, how they’re doing and where improvement is needed. Performance and contribution are measured and there are incentives, rewards and celebrations for success…and non-performance is dealt with fairly, quickly and effectively.
- _______ We have an encouraging, energized, inclusive and respectful culture that promotes excellence, teamwork, fairness, urgency and joy.
______ your total score out of 100 for ‘The 10 Keys to better employee engagement’.
Note: To check the accuracy of your score, ask a cross-section of your Team members to complete the survey above and compare your individual and total scores with theirs. This could be a real eye-opener.
In conclusion: So, there you have it. ‘10 Keys to better employee engagement’. What do your individual scores and your total score tell you about which areas of your business or department need improving? Who will take on this important project…and when will they start?
That’s it for this week…
Stay safe…live brilliantly…and do at least 3 important or kind things each day!
Donald Cooper speaks and coaches internationally on management, marketing, and profitability. He can be reached by email at email@example.com in Toronto, Canada.