(Time to read this article is about 60 seconds)
Christmas has become a time of year that mostly benefits overseas manufacturers and large retail chains. As the holidays approach, with a little thought and creativity, we can all choose wonderful gifts for family and friends in a way that makes our own community more prosperous.
Here are 6 suggestions for “local” gifts that could delight your loved ones and help grow your local economy:
- Who on your list might appreciate a Gift Certificate from a local hair salon, massage therapist or day spa? The gift of pampering is always welcome.
- A Gym membership is a great gift for anyone thinking about fitness, weight loss or health improvement. For someone on your list, a Gift Certificate for few rounds of golf at a local course will be the perfect gift.
- Your ‘artsy’ friends would love tickets to a play or musical performance at a local venue or, perhaps a watercolor painting by a local artist. Local crafts people spin their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewelry, and pottery and beautiful wooden bowls. So many wonderful possibilities.
- For the more practical folks on your list, what about a coupon to get their car detailed, their snow plowed, or their grass cut? Or, maybe their computer cleaned up and debugged?
- Most folks love to eat out. There are lots of owner-run local restaurants…all offering Gift Certificates. Tins or baskets of cookies from a local bakery make a most welcome hostess gift.
- Thinking about a great gift for Mom? She’d probably love the services of a local cleaning lady twice a month for the next year…or just for a few visits to clean up after the holidays, if your budget is limited.
I’m sure there are lots of other “local” gift ideas that you could come up with…but these 6 will get you started. So, how could you make this a more personal holiday season with local gifts that encourage and support local businesses? Just a thought.