(Time to read this blog article about 60 seconds)
As you plan for a more successful year in 2018, below are 8 simple but powerful ‘WHY’ questions to get you thinking and improving. Take some time to reflect on each of these and get your staff involved. They know stuff and they hate it when you don’t ask.
- ‘Why’ are we in business? How do we define financial and personal success? For help with this one, click here to download my ‘Defining Success’ Biz Tool, no charge.
- ‘Why’ are we located where we are? Is it to optimize growth or lifestyle, or both…or did it just happen and we’ve never questioned it? Is where we’re located related only to ‘history’ or to current realities and future possibilities?
- ‘Why’ do we have the business model we have? Will it be relevant and sustainable in tomorrow’s very different world, or is it of historical interest only?
- ‘Why’ do our target customers buy what we sell? What functional, emotional and financial value are they looking for?
- ‘Why’ should people buy it from us? What is our compelling value and experience that ‘grabs’ our target customers, clearly differentiates us from our competitors, makes us famous and grows our bottom line?
- ‘Why’ do we define our target market the way we do when technology or a simple shift in focus may allow us to reach a much larger market, if we’re extraordinary…and if we choose?
- For each process, policy or rule in our business, ‘why’ do we do it that way? Is it working? Does it deliver a safer workplace, compelling customer value, more engaged staff, an environmentally responsible outcome, improved efficiency or profitability?
- ‘Why’ would top-performers want to work for us, rather than someone else? The real battle in business today is the battle for talent. Are we a ‘talent magnet? The best people have to work for somebody…it’s just that we have to deserve them.
So, there you have it. Eight ‘WHY’ questions to get you thinking. What insight do they provide and what specific action will you take?